The Darling Building on Franklin Street was built for John Darling and Son in 1916 and was designed by architect EH McMichael.
John Darling and Son was a wheat merchant and flour milling company, for some years the largest in Australia, and this Adelaide building reflects the success of the business. Unfortunately both the father and son for whom the business was named died before the building was complete.
The Darling building housed offices of a variety of businesses until it was closed in 1997. It was then empty for about twenty years. Recently the building has been given a new lease of life, with renovations and repairs in 2015, and it even has it's own Facebook page now.