An important addition to West Terrace was the Adelaide Observatory built for the multi-faceted Sir Charles Todd (1826–1910). The pioneer of a network of telegraph lines to connect the colony to the world, Todd was South Australia’s superintendent of telegraphs, government astronomer, postmaster-general and meteorologist.
The Adelaide Observatory complex, including the Todd family residence and weather recording equipment, was located in the West Parklands between the ends of Currie Street and Waymouth Street. The earliest veranda covered section of the main building was completed in May 1860. A tower, with tripartite blind windows and transit room was begun in 1873. The whole complex, including a domed equatorial room, was completed by 1876.
The Adelaide Observatory boasted refracting and transit telescopes, a time service and a seismograph. The equipment enabled Todd to undertake geodetic surveys and observations of comets, planetary satellites and other astronomical phenomena. Experimental wireless telegraphy equipment transmitted between Adelaide and Henley Beach in 1899. The Observatory became the hub for meteorological observation stations that reported daily using the telegraph system. Regular forecasts and maps were published from the data collected.
The Observatory was joined by the Commonwealth Weather Bureau building in 1941. The complex was demolished over some years to 1952 to make way for the Adelaide Boys High School. Much later the weather bureau functions were transferred to a site at Kent Town, an inner suburb of Adelaide.
Burden, Michael, Lost Adelaide: a photographic record (Melbourne: Oxford University Press, 1983)
Elton, Jude, 'West Terrace' http://sahistoryhub.com.au/places/west-terrace, accessed 30 June 2015
Symes, GW, ‘Todd, Sir Charles (1826–1910)’, Australian Dictionary of Biography, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University,http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/todd-sir-charles-4727/text7843, accessed 16 July 2013
Add your comment