HomeJ Marshall & Co. opens

James Waddell Marshall bought the Rundle Street west drapery and furnishing business of John Hodgkiss & Co. when Hodgkiss retired in 1881. A year later fire damaged the two-storey premises and a larger three-storey building was erected in its place. Marshall’s continued to prosper and in 1886 expanded into the two-storey building next door. By 1889 J Marshall & Co. was the largest business of its kind in South Australia. Further expansion occurred in 1922 before the company was taken over by the Myer Emporium in 1928. The buildings of the 1880s and 1922 were demolished in the late 1980s to make way for a large complex housing the Myer store and other shops.


Comments